Monday, January 12, 2009

I've been busy so far today!!!!

I'd love to make one of these cute Scottie quilts. They were popular......I believe........in the 1930's.


I've been very busy so far today. I've been cutting more strips, squares and triangles for my Double Delight Mystery Quilt. I bought 2 different yellow fabrics yesterday to add to the 2 I already had purchased. I also bought more beige and tan neutral colors........didn't get enough so will have to buy some more tomorrow when I go into town. I still need more for my 3 1/2" squares and 2 1/2" triangles. I knew that I should have bought a 1/2 yard of each of the neutrals yesterday instead of 1/4 yards. Then I would have had enought to finish cutting all the pieces of the quilt today. Oh, well..........live and learn.

I can't believe all the fabric I have been using since I started making Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilts. I really need to start replenishing some of my colors. I'm low just about every color in the rainbow. I've also made 12 blocks for a Block Challenge swap, 5 blocks for a Block of the Month Swap and made 8 Love Blocks for one of my Yahoo Quilting Groups out of my stash recently. Plus I made several Christmas gifts using fabrics from my stash. Now you know why it's getting low.

The Love blocks are 8-inch pieced Heart Blocks. We use red or pink for the heart and white or white on white background. The blocks are put together into a quilt for someone that needs love due to losing a family member or other tragedies in their lives. When a quilt is needed one of the ladies sews them together into a quilt. Then someone on our group will quilt and bind them. We send donations for backings, batting and postage to the lady who is in charge of storing the blocks. I think it is a neat idea.

We also do Baby Blocks for making Baby quilts for our members. They are 6-inch 9-patch blocks done in pink and white or blue and white. When a quilt is needed the procedure is the same as for the Love Quilts.

I've even been using out of my Birthday Box that I received in September. One of my Yahoo Quilting Groups has a Birthday Box swap each year. I have participated in it for 2 years now. I received my box with 45 Fat Quarters in it last September. I had listed dog, cat, wild animal, wolves and a rainbow of colors. The ladies picked out exactly the types of fat quarters I had in mind. I can't wait until my birthday this year to see what the ladies picked out for me.

I better get busy and get all my fabrics and scraps cleared off the dining room table........it will be time for dinner before I know it. I get so wrapped up in my sewing and quilting that I forget time.

Did I tell you that I purchased the Simplicity pattern yesterday for making Miniature Vintage Aprons to use as ornaments, etc. I need to go through my stash and find some vintage looking fabrics to make some of them.

No comments: