Sunday, April 05, 2009

Potatoes, Onion Sets, Lettuce and Our Van



We own a 94 Plmouth Voyager Le van like the one in the photo. Ours is the same color. You might wonder why I tittled my post as I did.

Yesterday I told Rich that I was going to go to Canyonville.....small community about 9 miles south of where we live. I was going to Commonwealth nursery to see if they had any seed potatoes left. I'm a little late planting them and hadn't been able to find any when I shopped last week.

They had a nice selection of seed potatoes. They had Yukon Gold, Red Pontiacs and Russets. I decided to get Yukon Gold and Red Pontiacs. I grow my potatoes in potato sacks so I only needed 3 pounds. They were 80 cents per pound.

Then I found some yellow onion sets.....we harvest some as green and leave the rest to mature.

I loved the look of the mixed lettuce starts so I bought a 6- pack of them to plant for salads.

By now you are probably wondering about the van. You see I don't drive it more than 3-5 times per month. Rich drives it to work 5 days a week. When I got in the van it didn't want to start. Rich came out and told me to pop the hood. He jiggled the positive battery cable and the van started. He told me that it okay now and I shouldn't have any problems. Yeah right!!!!!!!!!!

The van started fine when I left the nursery. I needed to stop at the small store and pick up a couple of items. When I came out the van wouldn't start no matter what I tried. I had to call Rich. Our pickup is currently running so he had to ask a neighbor to drive him to Canyonville where I was waiting.

When they got there they tried everything to get it started. They thought that the starter might have went out. I panicked when our neighbor said that he could tow it back to our house with his vehicle. My Dad taught me to never tow a vehicle that was an automatic. So, I told Rich and our neighbor that I would rather the van be towed home. I went to call a tow truck and they got the van started before I could call. That was a relief as we don't have towing on the van.......we will have as soon as I can get signed up for AAA.

When we got home the van started up just fine.

Somehow, I don't think the van likes me.......because if it is going to act up it does it when I'm driving it.

This morning we decided to go get the newspapers. It wouldn't start again. Finally Rick dropped the gear shift down into neutral and it started. So Rich thinks it something in the ignition switch area that needs replaced.

Tomorrow Rich will be checking to see where he can get it fixed.

I'll be scrunching the budget to get it repaired.

No comments: