Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Rich's Headaches



Poor Rich has been having horrible headaches at times. They get so bad that he has to lay down and cover his forehead with a cold washcloth and rest until they go away. I've been trying to figure out what is causing his headaches. The last couple of weeks I've been focusing on what he eats or drinks right before he gets a headache.

BINGO!!!!!!!!! I think I have figured out what is causing his headaches. Everytime he eats foods that contain monosodium glutamate-MSG he gets a horrible headache.

So yesterday I did some research and what I found out scares the POOP out of me. Did you know that there are 100's of ingredients that have hidden MSG in them?????????? I sure didn't. I thought it was only listed as MSG........NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still doing research and let me tell you what I've found out is I'm going to have to check each and every label for not only MSG.....but the hidden MSG.

Yesterday for dinner Rich stopped by Figaro's pizza and bought our favorite pizza and 2 bottles of soda.....Diet Pepsi and Root Beer. Sure enough about a half hour after we ate Rich started getting a headache. I jotted down the MSG and hidden MSG in the pizza and the soda.........there was 4 ingredients in the pizza and 6 ingredients in the soda that are classified as MSG or hidden MSG. That's scary.

This morning Rich said that his headache had lasted thru most of the night even after taking Tylenol.

Rich was telling me that one of his friends discovered he was allergic to MSG. He said that his friend told him that he had made a major overhaul in the foods that he ate. He said that after making the change he didn't hardly ever have headaches.

Rich and I are still discussing this matter. Rich does not make any kind of changes in his life easily. This will be a major change and I'm not sure that he will be able to do it or not. I think if I can slowly change his foods and the way I prepare them gradually.......he might make the change easier.

Now, I have to get busy and gradually eliminate all the MSG and hidden MSG in our kitchen and pantry.

So long...........Hambuger Helper (only used when I could get for next to nothing), prepared soups, Top Raman, Snack Crackers, Potato Chips, the list goes on and on.

Basically we will need to start eating more fresh fruits and veggies, homemade breads, crackers, chips, soups, the list goes on and on. In other words we need to eliminate all the junk food and packaged foods and drinks from our diets.

Back to doing more research!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

thanks for the tips on headaches..and I hope you can make a difference...:)