Monday, February 02, 2009

Recipe of the Week



I've decided to start posting a recipe of the week on Mondays. I hope that you will enjoy some of my favorite recipes. You will find that my recipes are not fancy.......just good old home cooking.

The recipe today is one of Rich's favorites.

COUNTRY FRIED STEAK

1/2 cup flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup crushed saltine crackers
4 cube steaks (1#)**
3 T. oil
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 cup milk

**I use 1# of extra lean hamburger shaped into 4 patties instead of the cubed steak.

In a plastic bag or bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. Place buttermilk in a shallow bowl. Place saltine crumbs in a plastic bag or bowl. Coat steaks with flour mixture, then dip into buttermilk and coat with crumbs. I find that I use small plates for the flour and crumbs that it works better than using plastic bags.

In a large skillet over med-high heat, cook steaks in hot oil for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden and cooked to desired doneness. Remove and keep warm.

Add soup and milk to skillet; bring to a boil stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Serve gravy with steaks.

Serves 4.

No comments: