Thursday, July 12, 2007

Freezing Broccoli and Cauliflower

Top Row: Cauliflower
Bottom Row: Broccoli

The other day when I was shopping I found broccoli crowns and cauliflower heads on sale for 69 cents per pound.

I bought 7.78 pounds of cauliflower for a total of $5.37. I was able to put 6 quart bags in the freezer and had a huge serving for dinner. I will get two servings out of each quart bag for a total of 13 servings. Each serving cost aproximately 41 cents.

I bought 5.06 pounds of broccoli crowns for a total of $3.49. I was able to put 7 quart bags in the freezer. I will get two servings out of each quart bag for a total of 14 servings. Each serving cost aproximately 25 cents.

It's so nice to be able to reach in the freezer and pull out veggies to have for dinner. It seems like they taste so much better than what you buy in those little expensive cardboard boxes at the grocer. The only thing better would be if I grew the veggies myself. Maybe next year!

No comments: