Thursday, March 26, 2009

Recipe of the Week



Photo is my home canned Mandarin Oranges. They were on sale for $2.99 for a 5 pound box so I bought 3 boxes. Rich loves them so he took them in his lunch and ate them for snacks. I had canned regular oranges before so I thought I would try my luck with the Mandarins. I used a very light syrup to enhance the sweetness of the Mandarins. They turned out tasty. I'll can more next winter when they are on sale again.

POPPY SEEDED LEMON DROP COOKIES

These are my Dad's favorite cookies. He always looks for them in his Goodie bag that I make for him for his birthday and holidays.

3/4 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 t. lemon extract
1 3/4 c. flour
1/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
2 T. poppy seeds

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets, or use non-stick sheets.

Beat together the butter and sugar until soft and creamy. Add the egg and lemon extract and blend well. Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, and poppy seeds; blend into the creamed mixture.

Drop the dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheets, leaving 2-inches between the drops. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges. Transfer to wire racks to cool. Makes 3 1/2 dozen 2 1/2-inch cookies.

1 comment:

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

I love cookie recipes..will have to give them a shot..gotta put the poppy seeds on my list..your canning looks wonderful too...I used to hate it as a kid..now I enjoy doing it..go figure...have a great rest of your week..:)