Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Farewell to the Crocodile Hunter

Bindi's heart-wrenching address.

The emotional climax at the Steve Irwin memorial service was, for most, eight-year-old Bindi Irwin's speech about her father.

Without a tremour in her voice and even managing a smile, the Crocodile Hunter's daughter read from a sheet of paper, tracing the words with a finger.

Bindi - who shared a special bond with the Crocodile Hunter and was increasingly involved in his work - was greeted with a standing ovation as she walked to the podium from where she had sat with mum Terri and little brother Bob.

This is her speech in full:

"My Daddy was my hero - he was always there for me when I needed him.

He listened to me and taught me so many things but most of all he was fun.

I know that Daddy had an important job. He was working to change the world so everyone would love wildlife like he did.

He built a hospital to help animals and he bought lots of land to give animals a safe place to live.

He took me and my brother and my mum with him all the time. We filmed together, caught crocodiles together and loved being in the bush together.

I don't want Daddy's passion to ever end. I want to help endangered wildlife just like he did.

I have the best Daddy in the whole world and I will miss him every day.

When I see a crocodile I will always think of him and I know that Daddy made this zoo so everyone could come and learn to love all the animals.

Daddy made this place his whole life and now it's our turn to help Daddy."

This article came from the Daily Telegraph - September 20, 2006

What an honor it must be to Steve watching down over his family to hear such a beautiful eulogy from his daughter. A eulogy that came straight from her heart.

Farewell Crocodile Hunter!

1 comment:

Cami said...

Bindi was so cute, it was very touching.
(scrappy hugs)