Sunday, August 06, 2006

Busy preparing for Winter



Our friend, Carrie in Canyonville gave us some of her Gravestein Apples recently. I've been busy making applesauce out of them. So far I've made 14 pints of applesauce. I still have enought apples to make at least 14 pints more. The apples are so sweet that I haven't had to add any sugar to them.

Besides putting up applesauce I've put strawberries, blackberries and blueberries in the freezer, canned cherries and made strawberry and cherry jam. I was going to can some apricots but I found canned apricots and fruit cocktail on sale and I purchased a half case of each.

I need to go over to Dad's and pick some more blackberries and make blackberry jelly. I want to get some peaches to can and dehydrate, apples to can for pies, apple jelly, apple butter and dehydrate, bartlett pears to can and dehydrate and Italian plums to dehydrate. Hopefully Bobbie will have extra concord grapes this year to make grape jelly.

I also need to get some corn to put in the freezer and dehydrate, onions to dehydrate, potatoes to dehydrate and pumpkin to freeze and make pumpkin butter.

I get really tired due to having fibromyalgia and it is really hard to can or put up my fruits and veggies. I just have to do a little at a time and then rest. It's taken me 5 days to can 14 pints of applesauce. I used to do that much in one afternoon.

1 comment:

Tanya said...

I am so impressed with your "know how" when it comes to canning and preserving, Shirley! That's all beyond this city girl. lol The apple butter sounds awesome!