Saturday, July 24, 2010

Summertime Fruits and Flowers


One of my houseplants


Begonias and Zinnias


Blueberries


Heaping baskets of Strawberries


Bowl of strawberries waiting to be sliced and packaged


Finished packages of sliced strawberries

Yesterday I went to Mary's Gardens in Canyonville and bought another flat of strawberriesl. They are Albion Everybearing Strawberries. This is the first year they have had this variety. The berries are so sweet that you don't need any sugar on them. We love Strawberry Shortcake and Strawberry Smoothies. I now have a total of 28 pints of strawberries in the freezer for winter use.

Rich stopped by Fred Meyer and bought two 5-pound boxes of Blueberries after work yesterday. They are so yummy! I packaged 33 1-cup packages of the blueberries for Blueberry Muffins and eating frozen.

While I was out and about yesterday I treated myself to some flowers for my terracotta bowl on the porch. I bought some begonias and zinnias. I planted them last night and they turned out pretty. I have them sitting on the porch. I have to make a chicken wire cage around them this evening or else bring the planter in the house tonight. Don't want the deer nibbling on them in the middle of the night.

This beautiful houseplant started out as 3 little leaves sticking up in a planter that my sister, Bobbie didn't like. She told me I could take it or else in was being thrown out. I took it home and repotted it......now look at it 3 years later. I need to repot it again and see if it will get bigger or else divide it into a couple of planters.

This morning Rich and I went out for breakfast at Marla Kay's. After breakfast we did some shopping for a few items at the hardware store, picked up my prescriptions and filled our water cooler bottles. When we got home we decided to move the utility trailer so we could load it for a trip to the dump. Its already 84 degrees and so we decided to stay in the house until it cools off this afternoon.

Hope everybody is having a fun filled summer.

1 comment:

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

love all that yummy goodness you shared..yeah it got warm here today too..;) have a wonderful sunday.;)