Monday, September 10, 2007

Busy Weekend

25 pounds of Red Bartlett Pears
20 pints of diced pears
15 pints of Veggie Soup

We didn't go to the Cranberry Festival this last weekend. We got busy doing other things. We are getting ready to have a Yard Sale this Friday - Sunday. We also was busy this weekend canning Bartlett Pears and Veggie Soup. It was the first time that we have used our new pressure canner. The pears we could do in the boiling water bath. The soup had to be done in the pressure canner because it's a low acid vegetable. I happy to say that we didn't have anything explode and get all over the kitchen.

I still have lots of pureed tomatoes to do something with today. I think I'll put some of it on with spices and make ketchup. I'll probably can some for tomato juice.

I need to find some carrots to can. We love Glazed Carrots. Carrots are really expensive to buy already canned. The last cans I bought were those little bitty ones..........about the size of a AA battery around. We like the bigger ones..........about the size of a C battery around.

I also need to get some apples to can. Last year I canned apple slices in a light syrup. We used them all for Apple Crisp and Apple Pies. Boy they were sure good!!!!!!!!!!! I need to make some Applesauce, Apple Jelly and possible dry some for snacking.

I will be going to Bobbie's to get Concord Grapes in a couple of weeks. We sure do enjoy the jelly I make from them. This year I'm going to can some plain grape juice to make into a Grape Drink by adding it to Diet Sprite. I might freeze some plain grape juice to make Grape Smoothies. I've done that with Peaches, Strawberries and Blackberries. I run the fruit through the juicer and freeze the juice in cubes. I store them in a plastic bag in the freezer. When we want a Smoothie I take 2 cups 1% milk and put it in the blender. I drop the juice cubes in and blend until its thick and smooth. Yummy!!!!!!!! I also buy bananas when they are on sale and freeze them. I just peel the bananas and wrap each one in plastic wrap and place them in a zip-lock bag. I use the 1% milk, 2 Tablespoons Chocolate Syrup, 2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter and 1 or 2 frozen bananas to make a Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie. We don't have these too often as they are higher in calories and fat.

Not sure if Bobbie will have any extra plums or not this year. They lost one of their plums trees and only have 2 trees now. Bobbie dries them as Mike really loves them. I always laugh at her because she's so busy drying those plums and she can't stand them. What we will do for our husbands!!!!!!!!

There is a pear and an apple tree up behind our house. The neighbor said that they are getting ripe. He only picks a few to eat. I don't really know what kind they are yet. I'll have to get Rich to go with me and check them out. From what I can see from the house they aren't Bartlett pears. Maybe I can make some Pear Preserves out of them.

I've got to go get busy with the tomato puree that sitting in the fridge waiting.

No comments: